Saturday, May 14, 2011

"The Real Housewives of Orange County" Star Alexis Bellino Admits She Has Eating Disorder

"The Real Housewives of Orange County" mom of three Alexis Bellino isn't shy about flaunting her fab figure in revealing outfits and tight dresses. But now the reality star reveals that she hasn't always felt confident about her body and is coming clean about the eating disorder that's been plaguing her since age 12, right around the time of her parents' divorce.

"I just didn't want to eat," Bellino says in the new issue of Life & Style. "Looking back, I think it was my way of controlling something at a time when everything else in my life was out of my control."


By the time she entered college, she had become bulimic and didn't get medical help until her first marriage fell apart in 2002. Bellino credits her current husband, Jim, who she married three years later, with helping her finally kick the calorie counting. "He loves my body," she says. "In fact, he says he likes me about five pounds heavier."

The 34-year-old -- whose weight fluctuates between 118 and 122 pounds -- admits she still has issues with food and typically eats less than 900 calories a day. (What happened to not counting calories?)

"It's not like I'm healed. This haunts me. Sweets are my weakness. I'll serve everyone else dessert, but I'll pour salt and pepper all over mine so I don't eat it," explains Bellino, who talks more about her eating disorder on this Sunday's episode. "I try not to let my weight consume me, but an eating disorder is a lifetime disease. It cannot be cured, but it doesn't have to be practiced. My goal is to reach other women -- and let them know that they can conquer it."

That sounds like the right idea, but a 5'7" woman who's only eating 900 calories a day probably needs to seek more help for herself before she can serve as an example for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts